Ease-of-Use: Rexam 1-Clic Prescription Vial

   
The Arthritis Foundation’s Ease-of-Use Commendation recognizes products proven to make life easier for people who have arthritis and other physical limitations. These products are independently tested by experts and evaluated by people with arthritis. I have been asked to review a number of Ease-of-Use products during May, Arthritis Awareness Month in the US. My mother, who has moderate osteoarthritis in her hands, is helping by testing some of these products, as well. 

Have you ever get bested by a bottle of prescription medication? Y’know the childproof ones that require you to hold the cap down and turn at the same time. I've never been able to open those. And there you are, pain shooting into the stratosphere, the meds that can help you so near, yet so far away. Wouldn't it be nice if someone invented a bottle for prescription medication that was easier to use?

Well, someone has. More specifically, Rexam developed the 1-Clic Packaging System and it has received a Arthritis Foundation Ease-of-Use Commendation. Aside from the audible click that tells you whether the bottle is properly closed, this brilliant invention approaches a secure prescription bottle in another way. To open this one, you press down the tab just below the cap and turn the cap with your other hand.

Lucy was part of the assessment




"That’s easy!" Said my mother upon trying it. I believe that for the majority of people with arthritis, it would be. Very easy, as well as childproof in the same way that the regular prescription vials are.


However, for people like myself who live on the extreme end of the continuum with severe damage and deformity in their hands and very limited strength and dexterity, it may not be. I had a lot of trouble to pressing the tab. My left thumb could do it, but it hurt and as for my right thumb? Fuhgeddaboudit. My pharmacist gives me this type of caps on my vials, but they could be problematic if you have kids in the house.

Overall, this product is a definite improvement on what's previously been available.

edit: there have been a couple of comments remarking on how this tab system looks hard for aching fingers. I want to clarify that I think you have to be very wrecked in order not to be able to use it. My thumb joints are just that: very wrecked and unstable to boot. I think my problem relates more to the instability than the pain and other damage. It's worth giving it a try to see if it'd work for you - once the tab's down even a tiny bit, the cap turns easily.

Other bloggers involved in reviewing Ease-of-Use products are Felicia Fibro, Peachy Pains and Dog in the Dorm: Life with Holden.


Comments

Just looking at that bottle cap made me wince, Lene. With painful hands and thumbs, holding that tiny tab down while twisting the cap seems like it would hurt like a ... well, you know.

I was able to request that my med bottles come with a simple, twist-off cap. Works a charm. Of course, I have no small children around who might get into my pills, so that's not a worry.

Hey, nice work on the Show Your Hands project! That book is gorgeous and the posters quietly inspiring. Bravo!
AlisonH said…
There's got to be a better way than any that hurt...
Cindy B. said…
My daughter-in-law had wrist surgery last week and had a full finger to elbow cast and though she is child-bearing age, they don't have kids but she was given a child-proof cap which she can't manage with one hand so her pills are on a plate on the counter!

The pharmacies should ask if you want child-proof caps then put that on your profile if you don't.
Colleen said…
My pharmacy uses these caps. What you didn't mention, is that these caps can be put on upside down, and then they are normal screw on, NONchildproof caps! you don't have to ask for special bottles, just have them flip the lid! But, these are especially great for visiting grandparents, as they can flip them to the childproof side when visiting!

They are easier for ordinary families, without hand issues, too, as the click when they are closed prevents misthreading and spills...
abcsofra said…
I have these on my meds and I agree. I have thumb issues and the pressure needed to continue in the downward motion while turning is too hard for me. For some, they might work but for me they are not the answer I have been waiting for. I still request the lid that isn't child proofed. But I only have furry four legged children now and not the two legged type in my home now.
Anonymous said…
use a hammer?

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Gain and Biologics: The Battle of the Pudge

Real RA: It's Not Just About the Jar

Farber’s Disease: Could Your Child’s Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Be Misdiagnosed?