Ready for My Close-Up?



Never in a million years did I imagine that someday, I would be in this situation

 
But I get ahead of myself. Let me start at the beginning.

You may have noticed that I’ve been rather absent from the blog lately. As you may have suspected based on that photo up there, I have a very good reason.

Recently, HealthCentral started a brand-new project, something really exciting. They’re going to do a multimedia profile of three people with different conditions. These types of projects are a wonderful blend of different types of media, allowing for rich and textured in-depth storytelling.

Yeah, I know. It sounds like I was just pitching something, but really. It’s the only way I can describe it. See Snowfall. Or Firestorm.

Anyway! The conditions they’re focusing on are Chron’s, psoriasis and RA. I helped put together profiles for a number of people, both writers for HealthCentral's RA site and others in the community and submitted them to the team in charge of the project. Once that was done, I went back to my regular work and got busy.

And then I got an email saying they’d picked me for the RA story.

Gulp!

This was exciting, as well as a mildly terrifying. Mildly only because I was too busy getting the house ready, finding photos from the last 50 years and preparing what to say to really think about it. The day before the crew got here, I asked The Boy if it was too late to bow out. He said it was.

The crew was here last week, filming for two days and it was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I’ll tell you more about that a bit closer to publication time (January-ish). For now, I’m back to reality and the transition from surreal to my normal life was almost as strange. 

Gotta say, though. I like not wearing makeup every day.
  

Comments

(Clapping... gently... ow) Lene, I'm grinning ear-to-ear, so pleased for you. And I cannot wait to see the end result of your two-day adventure. Your mission of advocacy for RA and for those with disability just ratcheted up several notches. BRAVO!
Anonymous said…
This is so awesome Lene. Health Central could not have chosen better rep. for RA. You are such a strong woman and a fabulous role model for the rest of us. I am so proud of you that I can hardly sit still. You are fabulous! I can't wait to see your work on this wonderful project. It is so nice to put names and personalities on the site, as well as a new way for others to learn and grow.
P.S. I am so with you on the make-up thing. Wearing makeup everyday is tiring. Our faces need a break. You deserve a nice long one. Don't forget to rest and take a break from all the hard work you do! Love Ya Gal!!!
Pony said…
How exciting! I can't wait to watch (and share) it :)

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Gain and Biologics: The Battle of the Pudge

Real RA: It's Not Just About the Jar

Farber’s Disease: Could Your Child’s Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Be Misdiagnosed?